Monday, October 6, 2014

MM - double zippers


Where do I start? Last Monday I picked this double zippers pouch tutorial to try out. It looked quite challenging and it was for me. I don't think I'll try any new patterns late in the evening as I had to use the seam ripper and it was hurting my brain to even figure it out. 


My pouch look nothing like the one in the tut. I actually thought it'll be bigger. If only I read the comment section prior sewing!


I was a bit skeptical when it came to turning. I also cut the lining 3cm on each side once it was attached to zippers in center as it looked it won't fit in. I must have made something wrong since I ended up with holes at the beginning. The lining was not attached to exterior fabric. I fixed that with few hand stitches and I know where to be extra careful next time. 


To give an idea how big is this thing I put in some pens and small scissors. At the end it is not a bad pouch and the construction is pretty cool. It deserves some other try in different size so we'll see.



So that is another small project for Monday Makers @ Hug a Bit Quilts. Please join the linky if have some fun project to share. I'm also joining the other Monday Makers @ ayliN/Nilya and so can you.



My next one is going to be another pouch. Not necessarily double zippers. I would like to use this FMQ training piece and turn it into some sort of pouch.



13 comments:

  1. It Looks great. Hope I can avoid your faults ;-). I really want to try one too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Vera! I want to give it a go too. Those holes at the zipper end...I know them well. :) Can be avoided by covering both ends with fabric-only a guess tho. Might worth trying. Thank you for linking up with Monday Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done; your result is great. I was just reading the pattern, but I really got lost, and it's supposed to be my language!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the pouch looks great. I have done single zipper pouches but have never braved more than one zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the pouch does seem to be much smaller than I was envisioning, too, Vera. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you explain that not everything is perfect! It's really cute and a great opportunity to practice those zipper skills (impressive despite your troubles!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done with the double zipper. Was the photo of turned inside out the photo of your tired brain??
    When I finish all my baking on Sundays I will link up with Monday Makers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the construction tidbits, Vera - that is an intimidating looking tutorial! I'm just looking at it now (for about the 3rd time, lol), trying - I'm trying to go through each step to make sure I understand it. How big is your finished bag? Smaller is hard to make - very fiddly! The more I read the tutorial, the more it makes sense, but I'm sure when faced with fabric and zippers and seams, I'll get flustered at some point, LOL. I was wondering if making the pouch a few cms longer would make it easier to work, but I see that the fabric length (25cm) and the lining length (22.5cm) aren't the same (uh oh ...) so I think it would be safer to make it first as per the tutorial, then figure out any changes ;) I think I'll give it a try after Thanksgiving - I certainly have enough fabric and zippers, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yikes I just read the comments on the tutorial - that IS tiny --- "L 8 cm x W 13,5 cm x D 5 cm " = 3" long by 5 1/4" wide x 2" deep ... is that about how big yours turned out?

      Delete
  9. Yep, I have made this bag twice, and it is the ends of the zippers that I just can't get right. It is a fun pouch though. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks great, but too complicated for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lot of zipper in a very small space!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure when I would ever NEED a double zippered pouch, but it looks very cool :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the spice of blogging. I love them all. Thanks for stopping by.